Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jingle all the Way!

Two years ago I was diagnosed with AS: Ankylosing Spondylitis. It's a disease that worsens over time and left untreated can cause my spine to fuse, resulting in the appearance of a hunchback.






 I've decided that instead of feeling sorry for myself, I wanted to try and change my life and support others who are also suffering from this debilitating disease. Through this effort I have followed a strict diet that improves my symptoms, have become better at loving myself, and have started this blog. To continue in this effort, I have decided to start a team for the 2010 Seattle Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis.

The Jingle Bell Run is put on by the Northwest chapter of the Arthritis Foundation. According to the website, "funds raised support critical arthritis research, public health efforts and public policy initiatives."


I'm all about doing exercise for a cause, especially when you can dress up! People dress up in costume for the Jingle Bell Run, tying jingle bells to their sneakers and wearing red and green antlers. I'm thinking of wearing a sequined Santa hat!



The real goal of this effort though is to spread awareness of my disease and to raise funds for research. I'm more than happy to give myself shots every two weeks and continue following my diet if it is the only option to help me fight this disease, but I would loooooove to hear that a cure has been found. I'm really not all that fond of needles...
















To join my team, submit a secure donation, or just find out more info about the event, please visit my team website: http://seattlejinglebellrun.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=419456&lis=0&kntae419456=913A2169A92C4E59A96BBE39566E3F71

Let's get into the holiday spirit and kick some AS! Thanks for your support!

1 comment:

  1. Sweetheart,
    I love and appreciate your proactive attitude. You keep doing what you're doing to stay healthy and we'll pray for a cure.
    Love you hon!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete